THE SCOOP

"Scoopsies" began two years ago when my very first ice cream maker arrived. It was something new to focus my energy on--something sentimental, too, that brought me back to my glory days of scooping ice cream at J.P. Licks and Emack & Bolio's. To me, it was the most exciting arrival--like a baby! 

After making a disastrous first flavor, "Slam Chunk," (french vanilla ice cream dyed orange with malted milk balls that sunk to the bottom of the batch), and deeming it a "flagrant foul," I kept experimenting. I followed the recipes in ice cream cook books, making some of the classics (Chocolate, Oreo, and Pistachio) and started to explore more obscure flavors (such as Chocolate Almond Butter, Apple Cider, and Basil Gelato). Clearly, I was eager to jump ahead. And so I did...

I created "100 Scoopsies" knowing that whatever happened, I would come out with a greater understanding of the craft. I set my standards high for the project, aiming to ultimately share my ice cream with investors and restaurant owners by flavor #100. In the past year, I served my ice cream at local events, catered a Bat Mitzvah, received an offer from an investor, and met with restauranteurs who wanted Scoopsies to be featured on their dessert menu. I reached my goal(s), yet I'm left with even MORE questions about ice cream. This project has changed my life. I picked up invaluable lessons about the power of patience, hard work, and persistence. Now I need to work off of my foundation. I have a lot to work with, but a long way to go! 


From flagrant foul "SLAM CHUNK"...


...to a fried (scrumptious) finish, "Fried Fried Dough Ice Cream"

So what now? Cooking classes, focusing on the science of ice cream, and more experimenting with the 100 flavors (and, of course, some new "scoopsies"). Come late Spring, my plan is to start selling my ice cream at local farmer's markets (look out for Scoopsies pints and minis!) and offering customized ice cream socials for small businesses. I'm also planning to host my own batch of ice cream socials in the next few months, too! I'm looking forward to doing this on my own--no investors, just me and my ice cream maker! 

Most importantly, I want to thank everyone for the love this year! The kind words and continued support warmed my heart (it almost melted!). Thank you for following along, helping at events, sharing the project with your friends, and for every single bit of encouragement!

Finally, I share with you a portion of my "Master List." And as always, keep suggesting! There is a lot more deliciousness to come! 


FLAVORS TO MAKE:

No comments:

Post a Comment